I know its getting colder when my skin on my body starts to turn feral… it becomes dry and scaly, it starts to get bloody ITCHY (the WORST!) and feels rough to touch.
Having worked in the beauty/skin industry for almost 20 years, I have tried and tested HUNDREDS of products (and spent a shite load in the process!!!) I actually used to spend $90 on my body moisturiser!!! What can I say; I appreciate quality, I want results and I am prepared to invest more than most to achieve them.
But I now use products that are just as good (if not better) in terms of the results I have achieved, AND cost me next to nothing to make (that’s right… I make them). So I thought it was only fair that I share what I use, and how to make them too <3
But what you use on your skin isn’t everything. You may be nourishing and hydrating your skin with the right products, but you also need to ensure that you aren’t then STRIPPING away all of those beautiful, protecting oils. So here are my top 5 tips on how to protect your skin this winter, as well as what products I recommend to repair and rebuild your skin (that won’t cost you the earth!)
1. If your skin is extremely bad (really dry and terribly itchy), moisturise every couple of hours (I personally apply mine morning and night only, and find that’s enough… just see how you go). The recipe to my home made body oil is here. Works an absolute treat for me, is cheap as chips and smells AMAZING!
2. PAT dry your skin after a shower with a soft towel, instead of rubbing it (avoid friction a much as possible).
3. Have shorter, warm showers (NO LONG, HOT SHOWERS), and only have a bath if you add a nice, nourishing oil (and essential oils) to the water (otherwise, baths are no good for dry skin).
In winter, I love putting a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil in the bath, along with 3 drops of lavender and 3 drops of geranium.
4. Wash your skin with a soap free cleanser. Soap and even most body washes are too drying on the skin (anything that foams will strip the natural oils off the surface of your skin). So I make my own body wash using castille soap, coconut oil and essential oils (duh). The recipe if you’d like to make this too, is here.
5. Exfoliate regularly, with a nourishing body scrub. I use doTERRA’s “Spa Exfoliating Body Scrub” twice a week… and OMG, it is seriously THE BEST!! It’s formulated with a rich, nourishing blend of kukui, macadamia and coconut oils, and contains unrefined sugarcane to gently polish the surface of skin, leaving it feeling super soft and hydrated. For more info on this incredible scrub, click here.
If you follow these tips, you should see a huge improvement in your skin only in a few days <3
For more infomartion on essential oils, or if you’d like to know how to purchase them at 25% below the retail cost, send me a message.
Thank you for reading,